Tanpan Installation Instructions
Traditional Mounting (Link to Inline mounting instructions)
- Protective eyewear
- Cable & housing cutter
- 5mm Allen key
- Chain tool
- Fine (#0) Phillips screwdriver
- Medium (#2) Phillips screwdriver
- Torque wrench with 5mm Allen bit
- Master link pliers
- Mount bicycle in workstand.
- Use 5mm Allen key to remove existing derailleur from derailleur hanger.
- If replacing cassette:
- Remove rear wheel from bicycle.
- Replace cassette normally.
- Break chain and remove from derailleur.
- Size chain:
- Without threading through rear derailleur, place chain on largest cog and largest chainring.
- Add or remove links such that chain is 2 links (one inch) longer than the minimum required to accommodate bib-big combination.
- Remove chain from chainring.
- Replace rear wheel
4. Use rag to clean all surfaces of derailleur hanger.
5. Use 5mm Allen Key to install new rear derailleur
- If so equipped, disengage clutch
- Set torque wrench and tighten to manufacturer's specification
- Re-route chain through derailleur(s) and connect ends.
- Replace chain on chainring.
- Shift rear shifter to highest gear / smallest cog position.
- Remove shift cable.
- Install "Wolf" end of Tanpan in rear derailleur cable stop.
- Trim rear derailleur housing such that it sits in Tanpan barrel adjuster without excess material or tight bends.
- Install new shift cable into shifter, route through cable housing, and through Tanpan barrel adjuster.
- Use #0 screwdriver to back fixing screw out from Tanpan face
- Without routing around pulley, feed cable under fixing screw head and through transition hole.
- Add a small bend to the end of the cable to ease feeding.
- Place cable on small Tanpan wheel and pull snug.
- Transition hole should be roughly 180 degrees from Wolf-end cable outlet.
- Route free end of cable around large wheel and through Tanpan cable outlet.
- Pull cable snug and rotate Tanpan wheel such that transition hole is again roughly 180 degrees from cable exit
- Use #0 screwdriver to tighten fixing screw against cable.
- Fasten cable in derailleur cable anchor normally
- If so equipped, re-engage derailleur clutch.
- Adjust derailleur limit screws, B-tension screw, and shifting normally.
- Transition cable should not pass cable outlet in largest cog / lowest gear
- Trim cable to length and crimp end cap in place.
- Double-check all hardware and remove bicycle from workstand.
- After two rides, re-adjust shifting to accommodate housing compression and cable seating.
Important Note: Our latest pulley wheel design features a cable set screw. This ensures the cable does not slip. Contact email@example.com for replacement of first generation wheels. Include your shipping address and which wheel you need (SH-10 or SH-11).