More power, better traction, less shifting. Wolf Tooth oval chainrings use our proprietary PowerTrac design that has all the benefits of oval, but without the funky, uneven pedal stroke. Ride one once and you’ll wonder why you waited so long to try oval.
Think of an oval chainring as two chainrings in one. A major benefit of oval is how the shape of the chainring alters your gearing in two important phases of your pedal stroke by harnessing your body’s natural biomechanics. Here’s how it works. The area of the chainring with the larger diameter engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, which is what’s known as the Power Zone. If you were to look at a clock, the Power Zone would be between 1-5 and 7-11. Conversely, the Recovery Zone – back to the clock face, between 11-1 and 5-7 – is the weakest part of the pedal stroke, when the oval maximizes your efficiency. A 34T oval chainring behaves like a 36T chainring when you want power, while behaving like a 32T chainring when you’re climbing.
We’ve also engineered our oval chainrings to provide smoother, more efficient pedal rotation. This equates to better traction because of steadier torque on the rear wheel. With a Wolf Tooth oval chainring, you can harness more of your strength in the Power Zone, while having easier pedaling in the Recovery Zone.
- These rings fit on the Shimano XTR M9000 and M9020 1x or 2x cranksets
- Use only the stock Shimano XTR chainring bolts (M7x.75)
- You will not use the stock bolt caps when mounting this ring. The stock bolts will thread into the chainring's standoffs from the outside of the crankset.
- Wolf Tooth’s patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability.
- For 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 drivetrains (including SRAM Eagle)
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- Provide a great chainline on most boost bikes. See this explanation for details.
- Chainline - 49mm for 30-34t
Use Drop-Stop A for all 9, 10, and 11spd chains or 12spd SRAM Eagle, KMC, Connex or Wippermann chains
- If you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper in addition to a clutch-type rear derailleur. Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck.
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
Weight: 30t • 36g | 32t • 51g | 34t • 59g
Material: 7075-T6 aluminum
Made in the USA
Patent and trademark information