More power, better traction, less shifting. Wolf Tooth oval chainrings use our proprietary PowerTrac design that has all the benefits of oval, but without the funky, uneven pedal stroke. Ride one once and you’ll wonder why you waited so long to try oval.
Think of an oval chainring as two chainrings in one. A major benefit of oval is how the shape of the chainring alters your gearing in two important phases of your pedal stroke by harnessing your body’s natural biomechanics. Here’s how it works. The area of the chainring with the larger diameter engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, which is what’s known as the Power Zone. If you were to look at a clock, the Power Zone would be between 1-5 and 7-11. Conversely, the Recovery Zone – back to the clock face, between 11-1 and 5-7 – is the weakest part of the pedal stroke, when the oval maximizes your efficiency. A 34T oval chainring behaves like a 36T chainring when you want power, while behaving like a 32T chainring when you’re climbing.
We’ve also engineered our oval chainrings to provide smoother, more efficient pedal rotation. This equates to better traction because of steadier torque on the rear wheel. With a Wolf Tooth oval chainring, you can harness more of your strength in the Power Zone, while having easier pedaling in the Recovery Zone.
- These rings are for use with Shimano 110 BCD Asymmetric 4-bolt cranks.
- Compatible with Dura Ace 9000, Ultegra 6800, 105 5800, Tiagra 4703 or 4700, Sora R3000 or R3030, and Claris R2000 or R2030 cranks.
- Sizes 40T and larger are compatible with Dura Ace 9100, Ultegra 8000, and 105 R7000 but a slight modification is required due to a change in the crank arm profile. The 38T chainring will not work for this modification. Click here to review the process for the modification, which takes about 5 minutes to perform.
- NOT compatible with Dura-Ace R9200, Ultegra R8100, and 105 R7100 Cranks
- Mounts in the big ring position of the cranks but is offset inward for perfect chainline.
- The stock 2x bolts will not work. You will need our 6mm bolts which are optimized for single ring mounting.
- Wolf Tooth’s patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- Chainline - 47.5mm
- If you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper in addition to a clutch-type rear derailleur! Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck.
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
6mm bolts - the stock 2x bolts will not work.
Tanpan - allows Shimano mountain bike rear derailleurs to be used with Shimano road shifters
RoadLink - allows for wide range cassettes to be used with Shimano road rear derailleurs
Weight: 38t • 66g | 40t • 74g | 42t • 81g
Material: 7075-T6 aluminum
Made in the USA