More power, better traction, less shifting. Wolf Tooth oval chainrings use our proprietary PowerTrac design that has all the benefits of oval, but without the funky, uneven pedal stroke. Ride one once and you’ll wonder why you waited so long to try oval.
Think of an oval chainring as two chainrings in one. A major benefit of oval is how the shape of the chainring alters your gearing in two important phases of your pedal stroke by harnessing your body’s natural biomechanics. Here’s how it works. The area of the chainring with the larger diameter engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, which is what’s known as the Power Zone. If you were to look at a clock, the Power Zone would be between 1-5 and 7-11. Conversely, the Recovery Zone – back to the clock face, between 11-1 and 5-7 – is the weakest part of the pedal stroke, when the oval maximizes your efficiency. A 34T oval chainring behaves like a 36T chainring when you want power, while behaving like a 32T chainring when you’re climbing.
We’ve also engineered our oval chainrings to provide smoother, more efficient pedal rotation. This equates to better traction because of steadier torque on the rear wheel. With a Wolf Tooth oval chainring, you can harness more of your strength in the Power Zone, while having easier pedaling in the Recovery Zone.
- These rings fit on the Shimano XT M8000, SLX M7000, Deore M6000, or FC MT5100 1x or 2x cranksets.
- Use only the stock Shimano XT M8000 or SLX M7000 chainring bolts
- These CAN be mounted to the XTR 9000 series cranks, but you will have to use the bolt caps that come with that crankset and you will need to file roughly 1mm off the threaded boss on each bolt cap (they are a little too long and don't allow the ring to be tightened down)
- Wolf Tooth’s patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- Provide a great chainline on most boost bikes. See this explanation for details.
- Drop-Stop A models will reduce the chainline (inward towards the frame) from the Shimano specified chainline for the crankset: 26T-28T = -3mm, 30T-34T = -2mm, and 36T-38T = -1mm
- Drop-Stop ST models will have the same chainline as the Shimano specified chainline
- Must use the stock chainring bolts. The Wolf Tooth chainring bolts are a different size.
- Ovality of 10% and timing of 112° after TDC (top dead center)
- Maximum diameter is that of a chainring 2t bigger than the size you order so be sure there is adequate chainstay clearance.
Available in multiple tooth profiles for optimal performance based on your chain type. Use Drop-Stop ST for use with Shimano 12-speed Hyperglide+ and 12spd KMC chains. Use Drop-Stop A for all 9, 10, and 11spd chains or 12spd SRAM Eagle, KMC, Connex or Wippermann chains. Use Drop-Stop B for SRAM 12 spd Transmission (T-type) and Road Flattop chains.
- If you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper in addition to a clutch-type rear derailleur. Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck.
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
Weight: 30t • 41g | 32t • 50g | 34t • 59g
Material: 7075-T6 aluminum
Made in the USA