More power? Check. Better traction? Definitely. Less shifting? Yup. Funky uneven pedal stroke? Not with Wolf Tooth’s PowerTrac Elliptical™ (PTE) chainrings. Our proprietary design means a slightly less ovalized ring (10%) with less aggressive timing (112°) than competitors’ versions; any change to your pedal stroke is unnoticeable for most riders, but they still provide the POWER and TRACTION benefits inherent to oval chainrings. Click HERE for detailed information on our PTE technology.
It’s like having two chainrings in one! With PowerTrac Elliptical rings, the larger-diameter section of the ring engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, or “Power Zone,” – between 1-5 and 7-11 on a clock face – to take advantage of your body’s natural biomechanical POWER: For example, during this section, a PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 36t round ring. Similarly in the “Recovery Zone” (11-1 and 5-7), the smaller section on the PTE ring engages, maximizing EFFICIENCY in the weakest part of the pedal stroke; here the PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 32t round ring.
Additionally, the above provides a smoother, more efficient pedal rotation, which means better TRACTION. Steadier torque on the rear wheel means less spinning out in the “Power Zone,” while pedaling is easier during the “Recovery Zone,” so you maintain momentum.
Check out this podcast for a simple explanation of PowerTrac Elliptical ring benefits:
- These rings fit any 104 BCD crankset, and here are instructions on how to measure your BCD.
- For 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 drivetrains (including SRAM Eagle)
- Compatible with all 10, 11, and 12-speed chains except Shimano 12-speed chains.
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- Quarq power meter compatible with sizes 34t and 36t. Filing required for 32t fitment onto some older Quarq Power meters. No modifications are required for the DUB Quarq Power meter.
If you need a ring smaller than 32t (smallest that fits on a 104 BCD), checkout out our 64 BCD elliptical chainrings that will mount to your "small ring" position.
Chainring bolts that are optimized for 1x
- All sizes of our elliptical 104 BCD chainrings have threaded standoffs like our round 104 x 30t. Our 10mm bolts are optimized for mounting this ring and/or this ring with our perfectly sized and matching bashring.
Our 104 BCD bashrings are optimized for use with our 104 and 64 BCD rings
- Design and manufactured in the Minneapolis, MN USA
- Wolf Tooth’s patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
- Material- 7075-T6 aluminum
- Colors - black, blue, red, and gold
- Chainline (approximate as BB centering and cranksets vary) - 48mm on 3x cranksets and 49mm on 2x
- Threaded to use M8 chainring bolts (no nuts required)
- Ovality of 10% and timing of 112° after TDC (top dead center)
- Maximum diameter is that of a chainring 2t bigger than the size you order (so be sure there is adequate chainstay clearance!)
- If you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper in addition to a clutch-type rear derailleur! Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck.
- Weight: 32T= 41g, 34T= 48g, 36T= 55g (check elliptical 64 BCD rings for smaller sizes)