More power? Check. Better traction? Definitely. Less shifting? Yup. Funky uneven pedal stroke? Not with Wolf Tooth’s PowerTrac Elliptical™ (PTE) chainrings. Our proprietary design means a slightly less ovalized ring (10%) with less aggressive timing (112°) than competitors’ versions; any change to your pedal stroke is unnoticeable for most riders, but they still provide the POWER and TRACTION benefits inherent to oval chainrings.
It’s like having two chainrings in one! With PowerTrac Elliptical rings, the larger-diameter section of the ring engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, or “Power Zone,” – between 1-5 and 7-11 on a clock face – to take advantage of your body’s natural biomechanical POWER: For example, during this section, a PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 36t round ring. Similarly in the “Recovery Zone” (11-1 and 5-7), the smaller section on the PTE ring engages, maximizing EFFICIENCY in the weakest part of the pedal stroke; here the PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 32t round ring.
Additionally, the above provides a smoother, more efficient pedal rotation, which means better TRACTION. Steadier torque on the rear wheel means less spinning out in the “Power Zone,” while pedaling is easier during the “Recovery Zone,” so you maintain momentum.
- These rings are for use with Shimano 110 BCD Asymmetric 4-bolt cranks.
- Compatible with Dura Ace 9000, Ultegra 6800, 105 5800, Tiagra 4703 or 4700, Sora R3000 or R3030, and Claris R2000 or R2030 cranks.
- Sizes 40T and larger are compatible with Dura Ace 9100, Ultegra 8000, and 105 R7000 but a slight modification is required due to a change in the crank arm profile. The 38T chainring will not work for this modification. Click here to review the process for the modification, which takes about 5 minutes to perform.
- Mounts in the big ring position of the cranks but is offset inward for perfect chainline.
- The stock 2x bolts will not work. You will need our 6mm bolts which are optimized for single ring mounting.
- Wolf Tooth’s patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- Chainline - 47.5mm
- If you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper in addition to a clutch-type rear derailleur! Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck.
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
6mm bolts - the stock 2x bolts will not work.
Tanpan - allows Shimano mountain bike rear derailleurs to be used with Shimano road shifters
RoadLink - allows for wide range cassettes to be used with Shimano road rear derailleurs
Weight: 38t • 66g | 40t • 74g | 42t • 81g
Material: 7075-T6 aluminum
Made in the USA