Elliptical Direct Mount Chainrings for SRAM Cranks
More power? Check. Better traction? Definitely. Less shifting? Yup. Funky uneven pedal stroke? Not with Wolf Tooth’s PowerTrac Elliptical™ (PTE) chainrings. Our proprietary design means a slightly less ovalized ring (10%) with less aggressive timing (112°) than competitors’ versions; any change to your pedal stroke is unnoticeable for most riders, but they still provide the POWER and TRACTION benefits inherent to oval chainrings. Click HERE for detailed information on our PTE technology.
It’s like having two chainrings in one! With PowerTrac Elliptical rings, the larger-diameter section of the ring engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, or “Power Zone,” – between 1-5 and 7-11 on a clock face – to take advantage of your body’s natural biomechanical POWER: For example, during this section, a PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 36t round ring. Similarly in the “Recovery Zone” (11-1 and 5-7), the smaller section on the PTE ring engages, maximizing EFFICIENCY in the weakest part of the pedal stroke; here the PTE 34t ring is equivalent to a 32t round ring.
Additionally, the above provides a smoother, more efficient pedal rotation, which means better TRACTION. Steadier torque on the rear wheel means less spinning out in the “Power Zone,” while pedaling is easier during the “Recovery Zone,” so you maintain momentum.
- These direct mount chainrings will replace your existing chainring and spider, which is attached via 3 bolts on the back side of the spider near the spindle. You will use these same 3 bolts to attach the Wolf Tooth SDM® chainring.
- There are 3 offsets:
- Standard: 47mm chainline, 6mm offset for cyclocross and road cranks
- Standard: 49mm chainline, 6mm offset for GXP and long spindle BB30
- Boost: 52mm chainline, 3mm offset
- BB30: 49mm chainline, 0mm offset for BB30 short spindle cranks
- Fat Bikes: If you are planning to use this on an X9 or XX1 fat bike crankset with a 190/197 rear hub spacing use the 0 offset ring. If your fat bike has a 170/177 rear hub spacing, use the Standard 6mm offset
- If you have a BB30 crankset (30mm diameter Aluminum Spindle) this measurement will determine whether it is a long or short spindle:
- You will need chainring to chainstay clearance for a chainring two teeth bigger than the elliptical chainring (max diameter is that of a chainring two teeth bigger).
- For 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 drivetrains (including SRAM Eagle)
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- We recommend using a T25 L-Wrench like this one or similar for removal and installation of the bolts.
- The stock bolts are easily damaged when removing them to install a direct mount chainring. We have replacement bolts if you need them.
- Design and manufactured in the Minneapolis, MN USA
- Wolf Tooth’s patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
- Material - 7075-T6 aluminum
- Colors - black
- Chainline -
- 47mm on cyclocross and road with 6mm offset ring
- 49mm for standard non-boost (135/142mm rear hub spacing) with 6mm or 0mm offset (see compatibility above for which offset you need
- 52mm for Boost with 3mm offset (148mm rear hub spacing)
- Ovality of 10% and timing of 112° after TDC (top dead center)
- Maximum diameter is that of a chainring 2 teeth bigger than the size you order so be sure there is adequate chainstay clearance!
- A T25 Torx wrench is required to remove the bolts that secure the chainring or spider to the crankarm.
- An L-wrench works best since the crank spindle may contact a socket adapter and prevent it from engaging properly.
- Use the same 3 bolts to attach the Wolf Tooth ring or if you need, we carry replacement bolts
- Weight: 28t - 60g, 30t - 68g, 32t - 74g, 34t - 83g, 36t - g, 38t - 82g, 40t - 88g, 42t - 96g