Elliptical Direct Mount Chainrings for SRAM Cranks
The simplest way to explain how they "feel" is that where your pedal stroke is weakest it feels like you have a 2 teeth less on the chainring and where you have the most power it feels like you have 2 more teeth. They feel this way because with the radius of the chainring constantly changing, the torque needed to turn the cranks is constantly changing to better match your power output. Example: a 34t chainring feels like a 32t in the weak part of your pedal stroke and a 36t in the part of the stroke where your legs have the most power.
Check out this podcast for a simple explanation of Ellitpical ring benefits:
- These direct mount chainrings will replace your existing chainring and spider, which is attached via 3 bolts on the back side of the spider near the spindle. You will use these same 3 bolts to attach the Wolf Tooth SDM® chainring.
- There are 3 offsets:
- Standard: 49 mm chainline, 6mm offset for GXP and Long Spindle BB30. Note: All road cranks use the standard offset.
- Boost: 52 mm chainline, 3mm offset
- BB30: 49 mm chainline on a BB30 short spindle crankset. These are 0mm offset
- Fat Bikes: If you are planning to use this on an X9 or XX1 fat bike crankset with a 190/197 rear hub spacing use the 0 offset ring. If your fat bike has a 170/177 rear hub spacing, use the Standard 6mm offset
- If you have a BB30 crankset (30mm diameter Aluminum Spindle) this measurement will determine whether it is a long or short spindle:
- You will need chainring to chainstay clearance for a chainring 2 teeth bigger than the Elliptical chainring (max diameter is that of a chainring 2t bigger).
- For 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 drivetrains (including SRAM Eagle)
- If using a 9 speed drivetrain use a 10 speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9 speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- We recommend using a T25 L-Wrench like this one or similar for removal and installation of the bolts.
- The stock bolts are easily damaged when removing them to install a direct mount chainring. We have replacement bolts if you need them.
- Design and manufactured in the Minneapolis, MN USA
- Wolf Tooth’s patent pending Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
- Material 7075-T6
- Colors - black
- Chainline - 49mm (standard & BB30), 52mm (Boost)
- Ovality of 10% and timing of 112° after TDC (top dead center)
- Maximum diameter is that of a chainring 2t bigger than the size you order so be sure there is adequate chainstay clearance!
- A T25 Torx wrench is required to remove the bolts that secure the the chainring or spider to the crankarm.
- An L-wrench works best since the crank spindle may contact a socket adapter and prevent it from engaging properly.
- Use the same 3 bolts to attach the Wolf Tooth ring or if you need, we carry replacement bolts
- Weight - 28t - 60g, 30t - 68g, 32t - 74g, 34t - 83g
Free shipping on all orders over $50 USD.