Elliptical 64 BCD Chainrings
Our proprietary design has ovality of 10% and timing of 112° after TDC (top dead center). These values provide the benefits of an oval ring without the drawbacks of greater ovality or more aggressive timing.
The simplest way to explain how they "feel" is that where your pedal stroke is weakest it feels like you have a 2 teeth less on the chainring and where you have the most power it feels like you have 2 more teeth. They feel this way because with the radius of the chainring constantly changing, the torque needed to turn the cranks is constantly changing to better match your power output. Example: a 34t chainring feels like a 32t in the weak part of your pedal stroke and a 36t in the part of the stroke where your legs have the most power.
Check out this podcast for a simple explanation of Ellitpical ring benefits:
- These rings fit any crankset that has a 64 BCD "small ring" position. This includes standard 104 BCD cranksets, the M960 Shimano XTR crankset, the 96 BCD Triple cranksets (e.g. M782) and some others.
- Here are instructions on how to measure your BCD.
- For 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 drivetrains (including SRAM Eagle)
- Compatible with all 10 and 11 speed chains.
- If using a 9 speed drivetrain use a 10 speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9 speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
Our 104 BCD bashrings are optimized for use with our 104 and 64 BCD rings
If you need a larger 104 BCD Elliptical chainring, we have what you need in 32t, 34t, and 36t
- Design and manufactured in the Minneapolis, MN USA
- Wolf Tooth’s patent pending Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
- Material 7075-T6
- Colors - black
- Chainline (approximate as BB centering and cranksets vary) - 47mm on a triple and 48mm on a double crankset
- Ovality of 10% and timing of 112° after TDC (top dead center)
- Maximum diameter is that of a chainring 2t bigger than the size you order (so be sure there is adequate chainstay clearance!)
- If you plan to ride in very muddy conditions, we recommend a chainguide or chainkeeper in addition to a clutch-type rear derailleur! Without these precautions, you may experience chaindrops and/or chainsuck.
- Weight - 30t = 58g
Free shipping on all orders over $50 USD!